Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Wow, what a BIG day for global learning!

      Can I just say that I was as excited as my students today, as we Skyped for the very first time--not once, but TWO separate times, with TWO separate groups of people! How thrilling is that? (See? I told you I was excited!)

      We started off the morning with a surprise Skype from a new friend all the way over in--wait for it---Nepal! We chatted for about 15 minutes, and it's surprising how much information can be swapped in such a short amount of time. AND how it inspires conversation throughout the day! (Of course, some students told their other teachers they "scraped" another class, but  they finally know the word "Skype".)  ;)

      The second exchange was with a 3rd/4th class in Quebec,Canada, who are reading the same book as we are as part of the Global Read Aloud 2012. My normally chatty 3rd graders donned their "shy" costumes and barely said a word for the first 15 minutes. Then, all of a sudden they all wanted to talk when they realized how this whole "Skyping thing" worked. Those few minutes really showed them how important it is to listen to others' questions, and how to think before responding, and asking followup questions. Such important life skills, which had remained a mystery for some reason until this little session.
      
        Something both groups of my students noticed was that everyone else we spoke with today speaks more than one language, just like them. The Nepali girls actually speak 4 languages--very impressive!!

Here are some pictures of our Skyping session. Come back tomorrow for opinions and feedback from the students about Skyping and meeting new people.
Our first Skyping session (ever!), discussing The One and Only Ivan with
a combination 3rd/4th grade class in Quebec, Canada.




2 of my students explaining a poster they created on their own,
at home, about the main characters in the book.

A view of our Smartboard, showing the class in Quebec, as well
as our class in the right hand corner.

Absolutely captivated by the discussion--this group was not shy at all!
Skyping with Govinda, a Nepali teacher and "school principal",
 and his daughter in Nepal. They are 9:45 ahead of our time!

7 comments:

  1. I leared that the students in Canada talked in French. One thing that surpried me was that we had to answer the questions! The next time we Skype I will say that Ms. Wendi cryed when Stella died. We were shy to talk to the Canada students.Next time I will talk and answer questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I leaned that I know a littel tiny bit of French. It surpised me that they had questions and I was silent. I will not be so shy the next time and I will answer there questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the other kids wanted to skype. Something that surprised me is we had to talk to kids in Canada. I will ask the other time I will say that Ms. Wendi cryd when Stella died.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't here to skype, but here is what I think about the book. I learnd that Ivan like to draw and likes to eat his pencil. I was surprised when Stella dies because Mack didn't tack Stella to the vet. I think I will be shy when I skype.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned that they speak Frech and they live in canada. I was sprized that skyping was so cool we could speak to them. The next time I will ask what page are you in and that's what I want to aks them when we skype.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learnd that you mite be shy when you skype because it mite be your first time. I was surprised because there was a man with a camera that was for TV in the other classroom. When we skype agin we will not be shy. This was our first time we skyped and the next time we will ask more questions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I am so glad that you got to experience the power of a great book and Skype! I bet you can't wait to do it again. Thank you for being part of the Global Read Aloud, I hope you will do it again next year.
    Best,
    Pernille Ripp
    Madison, WI, USA

    ReplyDelete