Thursday, October 10, 2013

We Matter! (And so do you!)

You know, sometimes it's just plain fun to see what's going on with our kids and their thinking, and it's always eye-opening to learn what they feel is important.

Especially what matters to them, and how they see their value in the world.

Taking a cue from Angela Maiers' "You Matter" manifesto, with our own little twist or two, here is how some of my 3rd grade wonders completed the following sentences:

"I am a genius because..." 
"The world needs me because..."

You're going to like what they say, and be pleasantly surprised. Personally, I enjoyed their variety of ideas, and I hope you do, too! I think it's an incredible responsibility for us to make sure that we let people know that yes, they matter, while remembering that each of us does, too.


I am a genius because I know a lot about dogs [and] birds.
The world needs me because I am handsome. 
I am a genius because I do math and I rock my math facts!
The world needs me because I help others and I help
take care of my baby brother.
I am a genius because I can make a robot that it can clean the house, the car, and the yard.
The world needs me because I want to go to Africa to help [people] that are sick.
I am a genius because school makes me learn to pass my level.
The world needs me because I will be a scientist. I will be a scientist.
I will make a machine that makes money and food.
I am a genius because I can do my homework, and eat and watch TV and jump on my bed.
(Yes, he meant all at once!)
The world needs me because I share my money. I will give 11,200,100,10.50$ to my city.
I'm a genius because I can help people in math. I'm also a genius because
I can draw and decorate the cakes very good.
The world needs me because I can be there superhero if the city needs me.
I would shoot lava out of my hands and be the queen of the ocean!

These are just some of our group's responses. We would love to know why YOU are a genius and why the world needs YOU. 

And hey, don't forget that...
but guess what?....

1 comment: