Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Rejecting the Single Story

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie delightfully entertains listeners in one of my favorite TED talks, ​"The Danger of a Single Story". In it this is what she says: “The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story.”​ And that, of course, is what is dangerous. This collection of poems is a delicious rejection of the single story. Highschool students, many of whom have recently entered the United States, and for whom the English language is not their first, give you a glimpse of their thoughts. I think you'll enjoy them. Please scroll down below the map.

2 comments:

  1. So awesome to see the confidence and desire to become more and to learn more despite the vulnerability. Loved the "dreaming as I am drawing" and the bold "triumphant" goals. We all need the encouragement to excel and thrive and take the chances. Overcoming obstacles is tough; these poems allow the expression and sharing that are important. I really enjoyed these "I AM POEM"s. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Care, thank you so much for visiting our blog and commenting. The dreaming as I am drawing provides such a rich visual for me, too...Thank you for your encouraging words for our students.

    ReplyDelete