Sunday, August 9, 2015

Read this to get ready for the new school year!

I just read an exciting announcement this morning--a new book on teaching English Language Learners is forthcoming in Spring 2016 by one of my favorite teacher-authors, Larry Ferlazzo. In case you haven't heard of him, he's a community organizer-turned teacher and his classes range from Newcomer ELLs to IB Theory of Knowledge. Talk about a range of learners and experiences!

This is why his books are such valuable resources. Personal classroom experience makes all the difference in practical academic books--and this one is no exception.  He addresses common classroom challenges--from teaching ELLs to classroom management and motivation, and turns them into practical, do-able lessons, complete with standards. His lessons include multimedia resources from his extensive blog and website, which every teacher should visit thanks to his many, many resources.

I really have NO idea when this man sleeps, and for him to churn out another book on the heels of this last one, well, he's on a roll. He has a LOT of ideas to share! And if it's at all similar to his other books, I plan on having a stash of sticky notes at the ready to help me take notes and plan my own lesson sequences.

I read his most recent book, Building a Community of Self-Motivated Learners, as one of my academic book goals  this month, and I deeply appreciate it. Reading it has gotten my mind ready, excited, and full of ideas for the new year. Mr. Ferlazzo really has a bead on the pulse of what teachers need and want, and often solicits suggestions and ideas for his EdWeek Classroom Q&A column, and is one place he gleans common questions to respond to in this book.


If you're looking for resources and ideas that are backed up by research, and run the gamut from teaching students about goal-setting, physically active learners, and flow, to motivating readers and writers, this book is for you. How about classroom management, you ask? Absolutely. One of my favorite chapters is that of learning transfer. I realized I've never explicitly taught that before, nor did I know about Backward Reaching Transfer vs. Forward Thinking Transfer. Let me just say, I can't wait to teach my students to "Be Like James Bond!" (yep, you'll have to read it to learn about it!)

Happy reading!




2 comments:

  1. Maybe this book is really so good. Have to read it as I'm giving some private lessons of English. Will it help me? I'd like to find some literature that would help me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should definitely read it. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete